Making and Testing a Ghillie Suit

>> Today's episode is broughtto you by Squarespace.

>> Head on over to the nearesthot warehouse you can find, sit down and record a promo, or head on over to squarespace.

com/rogue, sign up for your free trial and when you do sign up for the service, get 10% off by using promo-code “rogue.

” Hoh boy, it's hot.

>> You're glistening.

>> Uh, thank you? Thank you.

>> I didn't say glowing.

>> You're welcome.

>> You're glistening, like a slug in the sun.

>> Eh, that's uh, I'm great.

>> Why did you buy that exactly? >> Why wouldn't I buy a ghillie suit‽ I don't even rememberwhat episode it was for, but I just remember thinking like, “Better wear the ghillie suit.

” >> No, you didn't buy it for an episode, you just had it! >> Oh, that's right.

No, this was my Halloween costume! >> Okay.

>> I hid in the bushes and scared children.

It was delightful.

They called me Tree Man.

“Oh, over there is Tree Man.

” And they're like, “Tree Man, come out!” I wouldn't come out, then they'd get close and I'd jump out andscare them, it was great.

>> You're like the Pennywiseof your neighborhood.

>> We don't live in thatneighborhood anymore.

>> I guess not.

[laughter] They drive you out withtorches and pitchforks? “Death to the Tree Man!” [laughter] [deep synthetic rumble] [electrical pop][gentle vinyl static] [rising chime] >> All right, Murphy, where dida ghillie suit first get used? >> It was first used in like 1900 by the Lovat Scouts in Scotland.

>> I did not expect a real answer! >> Boom, yeah, I got Wikipedia.

Come on.

>> That's amazing! >> I would have thought itwould have been much older than that, because the idea of just camouflagingyourself looking like a tree seems fairly elementary.

>> I think that's reasonable to say.

There were probably earlier examples, but the ghillie suit, is named for Ghillie Dhu.

It's a fairy from Scottish folklore that would cloak herselfin leaves and moss.

There's also very many parallelsto it across the world.

Like in Australia, there's the yowie suit, which is named for– >> Oh, named for the Australian bigfoot.

>> Exactly!>> They call it yowie, yeah.

>> Exactly, yeah.

Since then, it's evolved, and now it's really common.

It's often used withbits of burlap or twine, and augmented with flora from the area.

>> Yeah, so I got thisfrom Amazon for like 50 bucks, and it seemed like a good value.

I've had a lot of fun.

>> They're way lessexpensive than I anticipated.

>> Yeah.

Now I wouldimagine that there are different ghillie suitsfor different locales.

Obviously you're not going to wear this in winter arctic weather, right? >> Right.

That's the key, is that you really have to have it blend inwith your surroundings, that's the whole purpose, because the shape and everything is much better than traditional camouflage because it gives you athree dimensional break-up of your silhouette.

>> So the question we'retrying to evaluate is, $50 is sort of our baseline, do you want to buy a ghillie suit, or is it better to make one? I can imagine that it mightbe better to make one from scratch becauseyou can make it entirely out of local flora, right? >> It's completely customizable.

Here, let me show you howyou can make one at home.

I just got these pants from Goodwill.

I got them because there'sa lot of grey-ish tan colors out here on the property, and so I picked these pants out for $6.

>> Yeah, this will blend with, like, the limestone in the area.

>> Exactly.

And then a similarly colored long-sleeve button down shirt.

>> So you're already what, like 20 bucks in at this point? >> Less than 20, the shirtand pants were like, $6 each.

I have so much fishnet at home now.

>> Why do you have somuch fishnet at home? >> Well, because Iordered it to make this! [through laughter]>> Oh, okay.

I thought you just had a lot of fishnet laying around! [affecting a gruff voice]>> You know me, Old Man Murphy.

Down getting fish on the docs.

>> And did you sew it tothe sides here or.

.

.

? >> Yeah, this is all stitched in.

I didn't sew it, I got my wife Allison to sew it.

>> Oh, man, see, that's not fair.

>> She did most of this.

[laughs] >> Okay, fair enough.

>> But yeah, you stitch all ofthe netting to the pants here, and then it was just a question of taking all of this jute in twine form, it just came in a bunch of rolls, and I would just cut itoff at varying lengths, and just tying it to all of the netting.

>> So I grabbed these weeds, just from the local area.

Here.

And you're just tying, what, like overhand knots on there? >> With the jute, anyway, I was looping it through, kind of like that, and then, doing a knot that Idon't know the name of.

>> BRIAN: I mean really, if youjust want it in there, you just sort of have topoke the loop through, and you just thread itthrough that eye-hole, right? And then you just sort of tie it off, like that? Does that look bad, or good? >> That's the thing, it doesn't have to look nice, it just has to look alittle irregular, right? >> Oh, you know what just occurred to me? I'm allergic to grass.

So all of the sudden, the idea of wearing all this grass seems like a bad idea.

>> That's a really good point.

>> I hadn't thought about that.

>> I'm just going to cheatand put some in the pocket.

>> Oh, that's smart.

♪ [relaxing jazzy music] >> BRIAN: Everything meshes together such that you really don't have todo much in the way of tying.

I'd imagine you'll shedsome of this walking around.

But I'm surprised by how muchof it seem to just stay there.

>> Oh, yeah.

So this othergrassy stuff is raffia.

>> Oh, like you makeThanksgiving wreaths and stuff out of? >> Exactly.

>> This covers up a lotof area really fast.

Here we go.

>> JASON: Oh, we also have the hat.

>> Oh, yeah, what'd you do for the hat? Because this one, the store-bought one, you get this hood.

>> Yeah, see–>> It goes right over.

>> I just got a floppy hat, and put the netting over that, and then threaded a bunchof raffia and jute in there.

>> Upsides to buying it off the shelf, somebody else does all this.

>> Yeah.

>> Downsides are, you takewhatever color scheme you get and you don't get to really effect it, whereas homemade you can make it out of the local everything.

But I got to imagine that this is just going to be dead and falling apart within 24 to 48 hours.

>> Exactly, and to be honest, this was way more expensivethan I anticipated.

>> How expensive was this? >> All of these materials, with the raffia and all of the jute, and Istill didn't have enough jute, it was about $130.

>> Holy [bleep].

>> Yeah.

>> So this was like two and ahalf times more expensive.

Here's the real question, how much time did it take? >> It took a lot of time.

It was 12 hours.

>> Okay, so if conservatively, we say you're worth $10 an hour and you're wife is worth $10 an hour, we are now up to like a $650 ghillie suit.

>> We're in sweatshop territory.

[laughter] It was ridiculous.

>> Oh my gosh.

>> And I thought, “Oh yeah, I'm going to knock out “this ghillie suit, I'm goingto make it over the weekend, I'll be ready to shoot on Sunday.

” Creeping on in to the night and Netflix was like, “Hey, are you still watching?” [frustrated]”Yes I'm still watching!”[laughter] >> BRIAN: So I guess if you don'thave a ghillie suit, if you're in a MacGyver situation, you're up in the woods, yougot nothing but time.

.

.

>> Yeah.

>> I assume you can makesomething like this.

>> The benefits to this are if you already have the supplies, great, and customizability to makeit more like your terrain.

>> This will have to bea totally subjective test to see how good either of these work.

Maybe both of them work equally? >> Sounds good, let's do it.

>> Trever, thank you for joining us.

>> No, absolutely.

>> In fact, part of me wonders if, in a perfect world, Trever wouldn't evenknow what either of us were dressed as, but we don't have that.

That looks much better than I thought.

>> Yeah.

Uh, same.

>> My big question is whether or not the color palette is going to leap out.

>> I know, the green is a little too much.

You can often dye your jute, that's what a lot of people recommend.

>> “Dye Your Jute” should be a band name.

>> It should also be notedthat I'm wearing a lot of jute–>> Yeah? >> -and a lot of raffia.

What did we learn about jute? Is that yak hair?[bloop] Are they just super flammable creatures? [outrageous laughter] >> Oh, it's very flammable! >> I'm so flammable right now! >> Oh my god, I didn't think about that.

>> Yeah.

>> Very important.

These synthetic fibers? A little less flammable.

>> Yeah.

>> So here's the game plan.

We'll go hide.

There's about a half-mileof trails back here.

We're going to be within 30 feet, like about 10 yards of the trail, >> Okay.

>> -and all of this have to be subjective.

There's no prize for catching us, but we need you to sort of note how differently, if you're able to see us, how obvious each of us is.

[menacingly]>> But you better makesure that you see me.

>> Oh jeez, he's got a blade.

Well here, we're going todisappear into the wild.

Yowie, out! Yo, where my jute at? >> JASON: Jute en route!>> BRIAN: Jute en route! [laughs] You match theselight limestone colors, which makes me feel like you should be kind of closer to the pond.

>> JASON: Oh, yeah, probably so, right? There's lots of limestoneygrays and tans out there.

>> BRIAN: Well see yeah, this doesn'tlook too far off though.

>> JASON: Yeah.

>> BRIAN: Like with the dead leaves, so that's what you want to look for, is a spot with dead leaves.

It's a random grave site, don't worry about it.

♪ [upbeat piano riff with soft percussion] >> BRIAN: Should I be hugging a tree, or.

.

.

>> JASON: Or in one.

>> BRIAN: Oh! That's a great idea.

It's so early on the trail, I'm afraid to do it, but how good–>> JASON: This is good.

>> BRIAN: -does this look, right?>> JASON: Oh, that looks great.

You probably want to get a little farther back, I would think.

>> BRIAN: Yeah.

>> JASON: Just a little bit.

>> BRIAN: Well– >> JASON: Don't want to make it too hard.

>> BRIAN: Whoops.

Hey! Turns out, ghillie suits?A little clumsy.

Also, they pick up sticks.

>> JASON: That's good, though, right? >> BRIAN: Which I guess works, yeah.

You just put that there.

>> JASON: You're justaggregating more material to disguise yourself with.

[Brian yelping] >> BRIAN: This will be just like, five feet off the path.

>> JASON: That looks really good.

>> BRIAN: Yeah? >> JASON: I think so.

>> BRIAN: Do you think he'll see it? >> JASON: Maybe.

>> BRIAN: Let's find a spot for you.

More twigs.

Oh my God, I pick up all the twigs! Look at this!>> JASON: That's a branch.

>> BRIAN: This is.

.

.

[laughs]I picked up a whole tree! [music cuts out][to the tune of Katamari Damaci]♪ Naaa! Na na-na na-na naghillie suit, Katamari! ♪ [music resumes]Look at this! Look at this branch I picked up! I feel like later in thetrail would also be better because he's going to runout of attention span.

Look at this, I pickedup another damn tree.

[exasperated]This is–this is awful![Jason laughs] Okay, I'm giving advantage tothe homegrown suit right now.

[winded]Dammit, I can't even throw.

.

.

[resigned]Whatever.

>> JASON: I really thought I was goingto be the one snagging on everything.

>> BRIAN: Okay, now at this point, legit, Jason, you are blending in verywell with this background.

>> JASON: Awesome! What do you think, shouldI go just straight ahead? >> BRIAN: Here, try gettingbehind this tree maybe.

You're going to want tobe someplace comfortable.

Like, maybe even just lay down.

Oh, there you go.

If you lay all the way down, holy [bleep].

Yeah, dude.

Can you make that work for awhile? [muffled]>> JASON: Oh yeah, this is great.

>> BRIAN: Yeah, I barelysee your face and that's it.

I say we risk it.

>> JASON: You like it? >> BRIAN: Yeah.

>> JASON: Yeah, let's do it.

>> BRIAN: Would it be crazy for me to be, like, just on the other side? Then it's all down to thisone moment where he passes us.

>> JASON: That's actually good, because if he sees one of us, he's not going to think thatthe other one is that close.

>> BRIAN: Exactly! Exactly! Maximize our chances here.

[muffled]>> JASON: This is super itchy.

>> BRIAN: Yeah? >> JASON: Yeah.

[laughs] >> BRIAN: Ugh, yeah.

There's not a lot of green cover.

Yeah, here we go.

♪ ♪ Maybe I can.

.

.

[breathes heavily][branches snapping and leaves rustling] Agh! I'm snagged.

That's going to be my downfall.

>> JASON: From here, it looks phenomenal.

>> BRIAN: Yeah? >> JASON: I would not beable to see you at all.

>> BRIAN: Okay.

>> JASON: Though myvision is pretty occluded.

Yeah, that looks damn good.

>> BRIAN: Okay.

[sighs] All right.

Oh, of course it won't do face ID.

[quietly chuckles] [phone chirping] Trever, you there? You have the all clear, godspeed! [chirp] >> All right you sons of [bleep], I'm coming to find you.

[over speaker]>> BRIAN: Good luck.

And by good luck I mean bad luck!Never find us.

[Trever laughs] >> TREVER: So we're taking aright through the path, right? Correct? Okay.

So, it's kind of biasedbecause I know their colors, but, with it being kind of dead, grassy area, it mightbe harder to see Jason than it is.

.

.

Brian.

♪ [mellow beat] Do I go all tracker-likeand look for broken branches where they may went off the path? ♪ [music rises] I'm thinking there'stoo much sunlight here.

They would want a little bit more shadow because you might pick up onthe different types of green.

I'm wondering, are they laying down, or are they standing up? Because I would think with the trees, they would want to blend in and stand up and maybe, as thin as possible and tryto match the surroundings because they're really tiny, thin, frail-looking trees.

Also, I think that Brian looks, he reminds me of Moss-Man or Swamp Thing right now.

♪ [the beat has become more prominent and swirls with the occasional vocal samples — it guides Trever through the damned woods that harborTree Man and the Raffia Reprobate] See, it gets difficult because everything starts looking the same.

♪ ♪ That's what kind of makesit hard because.

.

.

I mean, literally everythingstarts blending in together.

Now, I don't know much about nature, but I do know that.

.

.

[plane passing by overhead] typically.

.

.

cell phones aren't laying on the ground next to the person that's right there.

>> BRIAN: If you would havestayed to [bleep] path! Ah, [bleep].

>> TREVER: I saw you andthen I saw the cell phone.

>> BRIAN: All right, then that's fair though.

[bleep] All right.

So what was the giveaway?Just the placement? >> All of a sudden, the sun stopped.

>> BRIAN: Oh, that's wild.

You saw the dappling all around, but the sunlight gotabsorbed by the ghillie suit.

>> Yeah, so– >> BRIAN: Oh, that's actually a good tip.

>> Because I could see, like, little spots here and there and all of the sudden, it was out of the corner of my eye, and then it was just a blob, and I was like, “Wait a minute.

” >> BRIAN: Dude, that's pretty good.

>> Then I saw your cell phone.

>> BRIAN: Oh, no, dude, that's great, yeah.

I tried to put it in my pocket, but I couldn't get it, like I'll be surprised if I can get out, I'm so enmeshed in here.

>> Now I think he is goingto be harder to find.

♪ ♪ [incredulous]Did you guys really hideright by each other? >> BRIAN: Goddammit! [laughter] >> JASON: Aw, man! [laughter] I was so close! >> Again, it was the sun.

>> Ah! No kidding.

I'll tell you what though, you do blend in really good.

>> TREVER: Yeah, he does.

However if that stuff wasa little bit more dead, I don't think I would have spotted him.

It was just brighter thanthe rest of it around him.

[groaning] >> BRIAN: Dude, that's great though, that you walked rightpast him the first time.

So, subjectively, of the two, was one substantially betteror worse than the other? >> Well, in this terrain, his was better just because of the– >> Really? >> Yeah, because of, like I said, when you're trying to look for it, everything starts blending together and it's all starting to look the same.

>> Yeah.

>> With his, it's the same color, so I would imagine Iwould have a harder time finding him had I notknown what he was wearing.

>> Okay, but, would you say his suit was $400 better than my suit?[laughter] >> Definitely not.

>> So if you weren't looking for us, what are the odds you wouldhave just walked right on by? >> Over 50 percent.

I think they're pretty good.

>> Take those odds.

We got two of us.

One of us could get found and killed.

>> We were really thinkingyou would see Brian or see me first and thenjust move on thinking that we were down the road.

>> Yeah we didn't think you'd put it together that we were both in the same spot.

That was pretty good.

>> That's kind of like Battleshipwhen you put them together and hoping they won't figure it out.

>> JASON: Yeah.

>> So I'm going to say, yes, doable, possibly good, depending on location, not worth it.

>> Yeah, no, I mean, if you can customize it to look like your surroundings, to look exactly likeyour surroundings, great, that might be better, but you've got to have the timeand the money to invest.

>> I'll tell you what, dude, just walking around, before too long I'll benothing but the surroundings.

This is ridiculous.

>> You're going to gettaken back by the forest.

>> Yeah, no, let's goback to civilization.

I'm just glad my judgment wasn't impaired when I was doing this.

[Brian and Jason laugh] [affecting a deep south accent]>> Well, Mr.

Murphy, as I live and breathe, we may be sitting here in anun-air-conditioned warehouse in the middle of central Texas, but I suspect that you've not yet heard the good word of Squarespace.

[also using a southern accent]>> Preach it to me, Brother Brushwood.

>> BRIAN: Whether wehave a blog, portfolio, or any other kind of website, they make you look professional.

Even if you wanted to run an online store, you could do all ofyour commerce solutions through Squarespace.

They have designs that will inspire.

>> You don't say.

>> I did say it! And I'm offended>> You did.

>> -that you would deny it.

>> Oh! >> I demand–>> Sir! >> Sorry, what I meant to do was this.

Jesus Christ, is it everhot in this warehouse! >> I would say that, uh my good man, that it sucks.

[chortle] >> Well, if only people wanted to cool their britches for just a moment, they could head over tosquarespace.

com/rogue, sign up for a free trial, and when they do sign up for the service, use promo code “rogue” at checkout.

That's R-O-G-U-E, we don'twant you to misspell it, because otherwise wewon't be able to afford any air-conditioning tomake this a nice, crisp, cool, cucumber-like cubicle.

>> Yes, indeed, help us [accent drifting]stay in business by supporting– Why am I British now? [Brian laughs] What happened? [impersonating Churchill]>> You're like, “We will fight websites on the shores! “We will fight them at the thermometer! We will fight them atthe design process!” >> I was like, “Oh wait, we're Southern.

” >> “We will never surrender, we will never forget, squarespace.

com/rogue!” >> I think we're having a heat stroke.

>> [laughs] It's fine.

— CC BY REV –** MODIFIED BY BIZARRE MAGIC ** [radio static and wind] [quietly]>> Man, I would really suck asthe narrator of a nature show.

[thunder] Because all I'm thinking is, I like indoor plumbingand air conditioning.

.